Everyone knows it is hard to lose weight. Dropping just a couple pounds can appear to be a positively Herculean task in a busy, fast-paced modern lifestyle, and sometimes after a fatiguing morning jog, you can get to the point of asking yourself if it really is worth it – or you dread even starting!
However, every minute spent improving your body is a long-term investment to an all-around improvement in your quality of life. How so, you may ask? Wonder no longer, because here are just 5 benefits of weight loss.
1) A Better Picture of Yourself: The pains of losing weight will give returns in tenfold, if you keep at it. Studies unilaterally find that losing weight improves your body image and self-esteem, making you love yourself even more. Doing it the old-fashioned way is very well worth it, as a change in diet and exercise habits delivers better results in this regard than invasive surgery or pills.
2) No more Stress: A healthy amount of exertion makes your body release endorphins – those feel-good chemicals which help in making you happy and relaxed. This melts away not only the pain of the exercise but all your day-to-day worries, as you enter what is known to psychologists as “flow” or “the zone”, and to many others as a “runner’s high” – a state of single-minded, zen-like focus akin to meditation. You will learn to love exercise, and it will become easier.
3) Enjoy your meals more: If you manage your diet better and put your body in action, you’ll start seeing that every bite counts – you’ll appreciate the textures and flavors in food far more. And eventually, you’ll stop craving the cheap thrills of junk food entirely!
4) Rid yourself of aches: As the unnecessary strain in your body fades, so will joint and back pains. That will add up over the years – you will be very proud of your good sense when you’re older! The increased mobility goes without saying. Make your body go where you want and do what you want it to. Suddenly, the couch won’t look so good compared to a trip in nature.
5) Be Healthier: Type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart disease… do these sound like things you are willing to welcome into your life? You can substantially lower your risks of suffering from them down the line by slimming down today. But it’s not just about things that will happen years from now. Once they’re relieved, your adrenal glands and respiratory system. will be better equipped to keep pesky seasonal allergies far, far way from you.